14/10/2013

Go Grease Lightning!

Hey Guys! I've got a skincare review for y'all today. It is the Lush Grease Lightning Spot Treatment. I bought this because a few people including Ingrid from Missglamorazzi said that this helped prevent acne from leaving scars in the first place. My skin scars like a mofo, even if I barely touch the darn thing, I get a horrible dark mark that doesn't fade for months and months. Keep reading to see if it lived up to the claims!



The packaging is comprised of a small plastic bottle with a pump dispenser. I like the fact that it has a pump, meaning in theory, easy and hygienic release of the product. However, the pump is quite stiff and even if you try to be careful, you cannot control how much comes out. 1 squeeze releases a lot of product and in most cases too much. This often leads to me applying the product quite liberally. Even so, the bottle is quite big for a spot treatment, so I think it will last for a good long while anyways.


Coming from Lush, the product contains natural and organic ingredients such as Tea Tree and Witch Hazel which are both known for their acne fighting properties. Containing very natural ingredients as opposed to other typical acne treatment ingredients (Salicylic Acid and Benzoyl Peroxide), it is very gentle, and therefore not as effective. It doesn't sting or dry out the area at all so if you have sensitive skin, this would be a good option. Like I said though, it isn't as potent or effective as, for example, the Origins Super Spot Remover. It takes longer to clear any given spot whether it be a whitehead or cystic. In my experience it doesn't work too well on cystic acne. The spot won't clear for about a week, but I do feel it is better than not applying anything. On whiteheads it works a little better, healing them in some cases overnight, or in a couple of days (depending on their size). These are my experiences from using the treatment twice a day (morning and night).

In regards to scarring, to be honest, I don't see that it really helps prevent spots from leaving scars in the first place, or help clear previous scars. The marks left behind are still as bad as they were when I was using the Origins spot treatment. So, it was a bit disappointing in that regard, however my skin does scar VERY badly. Maybe you will be in better luck if your skin isn't as badly affected.


The consistency is described as a gel, but I find it to be more of a gel/jelly texture. It is a little bit hard to get it to absorb into the skin. I find it almost forms a thin film over the skin and therefore isn't amazing for wearing under makeup (especially if I've applied it quite liberally due to aforementioned reasons). When applying makeup or anything over the top, the film sort of rolls/balls up and is needed to be picked off. I find the best way to apply it is very thinly, and leave a bit of time (maybe 20-30 minutes) before applying any makeup. The product has an overall herbally smell, mostly lavender. It's not offensive and I actually find it quite nice.


So overall, I'm not the hugest fan of this product. It's not a bad spot treatment by any means but in my opinion, it's not good. It is very gentle though, so if you want to go that route, this is a good option. I'm sad that it didn't work as I wanted it to, but it just goes to show that skincare products work differently on everyone! Again, I'm on the hunt for a good spot treatment! I'll definitely finish this one, but won't be repurchasing. I also got a sample of the Mario Bedascu Buffering Lotion for cystic acne, so I'll see how that one goes! Lush Grease Lightning contains 45g of product for AUD$13.95.

Random note that relates to the title (of the post and product!), I went to see John Frost's production of Grease which was recently being performed at QPAC. I quite enjoyed it but they did change a few of the key points from the movie, and Sandy's leather disco pants outfit was nearly as flattering or 'sexy' as in the movie. It was a lot of fun though!

Have you tried Lush Grease Lightning? What are your thoughts?

8 comments:

  1. Aw I'm so upset this didn't work for you :( I remember you commented on my review about this, and I know you deal with acne scarring, so I was hoping if you did give this a go, it would work. Ah such a shame :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm pretty disappointed but my skin just sucks that way :(

      Delete
  2. It sucks that this didn't work out for you. Speaking of Grease though, I booked tickets to see the musical when I'm in Melbourne in January :D so excited!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't my favourite musical but it was definitely a lot of fun, and they had some pretty funny moments too!

      Delete
  3. I get acne scars sooo easily too! It's such a pain :( I still have a ton on my cheek, which prevents me from going makeup-less.
    I've heard a lot about this and I probs won't be picking it up now. It doesn't sound like it does much! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah me too - my cheeks look like they have a lot of acne, but it's just scarring! I just think that for my skin at least, scarring can't be prevented :S. That's why I'm desperate to find good brightening serums, exfoliators, moisturisers, etc.

      Delete
  4. What a shame this one didn't work for you! For spot treatment I use Fixaderm, it's a total god-send! I don't get much acne though.. lucky me!
    I can't even imagine how horrible it must be to scar so easily :(
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I've never heard of that one. I definitely need to do some more research on different spot treatments!

      Delete