31/10/2013

Monthly Favourites | October 2013

Happy Halloween! The inevitable end of the month favourites are upon us again! We truly are nearing the end of the year which is both shocking and fear-inducing for me! I have my end of year exams soon, and then a very nice eight week holiday. But then, I will begin my final year of high school! I'm more scared than excited haha, I am not ready to face the real world! In terms of favourites this month, I actually struggled a little to gather items as I've been using much the same products as featured in previous monthly favourites. There have been a few standouts this month though!



My skincare favourite of the month has been the Garnier Anti-Dark Spot Renovator Night serum treatment. I've been using this for over a month now and a full review will be up soon! This serum contains 4% glycolic acid along with vitamin c to help exfoliate and brighten the skin. I haven't noticed any drastic improvement in my acne scars, but I do feel that my skin's texture is smoother and my scars slightly lighter.

A tool I've been loving again particularly is my Shu Uemura Eyelash Curlers. These get their fair share of rave reviews and I gotta say they deserve them! They curl my short, asian-straight lashes super well and makes them look quite nice (considering how meagre they are)! 

I haven't been wearing eyeshadow a ton, but if I want to slap on a little bit of product, I've been reaching for the Maybelline Colour Tattoo metal in the shade Inked in Pink. It's a gorgeous sort of icy, silvery but also warm pink, that complements my skintone well and is a great no fuss eye shade!

Another product I featured way back in January is the Australis Fresh & Flawless Pressed Powder which I have in the shade Darkest Brown (really not a very dark brown at all...). Since I've been going the BB cream route pretty much daily this month, throwing this on to set everything adds a bit more coverage. It's a super soft powder that applies really well to the skin. It doesn't leave a cakey residue and keeps me matte-ish for a decent part of the day.

My favourite product out of the bunch this month has definitely been the The Balm Instain Blush in the shade Toile. I'll have a full review up on this one soon too but WOW! I had pretty high expectations for this product and it has certainly lived up to them! The shade is utterly gorgeous, a deeper peachy-pink with a hint of rose that actually looks extremely natural on me and has an amazing staying power to boot.


I have been using the Nivea In-shower Body Lotion quite a bit this month and I really like it. However, I was unsure about purchasing it (but did to qualify for a voucher) because I don't really need it. It's not that I'm too lazy to apply moisturiser, more that I just forget to. This is nice to have and use, and leaves my skin feeling quite soft, but it doesn't actually penetrate the skin to provide any intense moisture. It's sort of a superfluous product which I enjoy using but probably wouldn't repurchase.

I have been really enjoying the Clear Nourishing Shampoo and Conditioner. These are the minis but I did purchase the full sizes. I find these clean my hair really well but don't leave it feeling dry or stripped. The conditioner is so nice - my hair feels amazingly soft and silky after using it! They also smell nice too, nothing to crazy, just nice hair product-y smell.

I've been using the Daiso Detergent for Puff and Sponge to wash my brushes all month and it has been doing a stellar job. It cleans them AMAZINGLY, getting out all of the stains that foundation and concealer would usually leave, making them looks good as new. Awesome for the price!


Oh my gosh, you guys - this book. This book. I think I may have discovered my favourite book of all time!!! It is Divergent by Veronica Roth. It is absolutely amazing and captivating, so well written, awesome characters and romance and just ughhh amazingness crammed into 500 pages. This had me hooked from the first line and I probably would have read it in one sitting if I hadn't had a Chemistry EEI due. If you haven't read this yet, DO IT. It's sort of (ish) similar to the Hunger Games - set in a futuristic, dystopian messed up world and written similarly (first person, present tense). So, if you liked that, you'll probably like this. I'm almost finished Insurgent (the sequel) and Allegiant (the final book) came out last week! There's also a movie coming out next year which I am SO excited for. Let's hope it's a better book-to-movie project that The Mortal Instruments (PLEASE). 

The blurb, to titillate your senses...


So those were my monthly favourites. I'm also going to see Thor: The Dark World tomorrow which I am unbelievably excited for! I've been waiting for so long and cannot even contain myself! My expectations are pretty high so I hope it doesn't disappoint! I'm a huge Marvel fan and an even huger Hiddlestoner (Tom Hiddleston fan) haha.

What have you guys been loving this month, any plans for Halloween?

17 comments:

  1. Great round of favourites :)
    I have never actually tried any Garnier skincare products and the night serum sounds good! I have those Clear shampoo minis at home as well.. and I might just start to use them now that you mention how nice the conditioner is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually really like the Garnier skincare products I've tried so I do recommend checking the range out!

      Delete
  2. Ooh definitely going to read 'Divergent' now, maybe after exams :)
    Nice faves! Can't wait to see your review on the Garnier dark spot corrector, I have a ton of scars to lighten :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes yes you should! I'll have it up soon once I see a bit more results.

      Delete
  3. I've never heard of Veronica Roth, but I'll definitely check her books out. I've been reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and it's pretty good. You make the Instain blushes sound so tempting- I honestly don't think I have a single blush with decent staying power!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! Haha. I think(?) I've heard of that book? I'll google it haha. The Instain blushes are sooo nice and the colours are very bright, which I particularly like. They do have a natural shade in there too though!

      Delete
  4. OMG the book Divergent is being made into a movie and they were filming loads of the scenario in the lane behind my apartment building :) they had built a huge set. I had said
    to myself that I should read the book... now I must read it! Xx

    MISSY IN THE MIRROR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoah!! That is SO awesome!! Wish I was there, I would have fangirled like a crazy person!!

      Delete
  5. I loved Divergent and I am soooo excited for the movie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good! I think the castings for Four and Tris were pretty perfect too! I hope it's not a let down!

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh. Can completely relate to your thoughts about year 12! Lovely favourites and thanks for the book recommendation...shall be picking that up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even know what I want to do though! :O Divergent is I think sort of a sci-fi novel, so hopefully you will like it!

      Delete
  7. I've been wanting to read Divergent for ages! But I always seem to find other books to read! The InStain blush looks lovely!
    xxx Kat

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must read it! The blush IS lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. omg I love that you said you're a Hiddlestoner. That man is perfection, to the extent it's genuinely depression-inducing. I looovveeeee him. Tragically. And for me it's kind of a new thing, so I'm in the throes of mad infatuation :p

    I seriously need to get my hands on that Daiso brush cleaner that everyone seems to rave about. I couldn't find it anywhere in my nearest Daiso though (which has now closed down...boo!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! Another Hiddlestoner!!! Woo, yes I'm pretty obsessed and it's becoming a problem...haha. I only really became obsessed because of tumblr. There are so many photos and gifs that just exacerbate the problem lollll

      Delete
  10. Agreed - Shu Uemura deserve the attention they receive. (:

    ReplyDelete