17/08/2015

Souff-laying at the Beach

Not gonna lie, I'm pretty proud of that title. APPRECIATE THE PUNNINESS. Aaaaanyway, back to the actual purpose of this post - I'm here to review the Becca Beach Tint Shimmer Soufflé in the shade Watermelon/Moonstone. This isn't the most hyped up product ever, but I'd definitely read and seen some really good reviews. That and, Becca is basically known for their cheek products! The product itself is quite unique, so keep reading to see how I went with it!






L-R: Swatched, Blended

First off, the packaging is lovely. It's basically the same as the Maybelline Colour Tattoos and the Josie Maran Cheek Gelees - a small glass jar with a screw top lid. The product inside is definitely gorgeous. The concept behind this "soufflé" is that it is a mix of their famous Beach Tints and Shimmering Skin Perfectors, therefore giving it that lovely marbled effect. Though, that disappears after the first use, so let's not dwell on it! The smELL THOUGH. Mmmm, it legit smells edible. I think each shade has a different scent to go with the name, so this should smell like Watermelon but I don't know, it just smells fruity, sweet and delicious. Hopefully it's not an irritant to sensitive skins though, and it doesn't linger on the face.

The formula is supposedly "four-in-one" as it has powder for colour, a stain for staying power, an illuminating highlighter and a cream for a flawless finish. I guess that's true to some extent and definitely makes for an interesting texture. It's quite similar to the ColourPop products actually but I'd say those apply more powdery. The Beach Tint Shimmer Soufflé is described as having a "sponge-like gel texture". It's like a creamy, dense mousse that you can squish around in the pot. It applies like a cream-to-powder type of a product as it's not overly dewy or paste-y. I find this best applies with the Real Techniques Contour Brush. A stippling brush doesn't pick up the product well enough, and fingers can apply it patchily. This has a good pigment level for a blush, not too much, but there's no need to build it up. 

What I wanted from this blush was a flush of natural, sheeny colour and perhaps a bit of dewiness. Having tried the Shimmering Skin Perfectors, I was expecting a similar level of sheen and glowiness, seeing as this is supposedly infused with them. Unfortunately, that's not really the case! While this has a sheen and glowiness, it's more obviously shimmery and even has bits of shimmer in it. When applied, the shimmer isn't the most refined and can sometimes even accentuate uneven skin texture and the little shimmer bits catch the light in a (in my opinion) slightly unflattering way. So that's something I don't love about it - it's not as natural and effortless as I wanted it to be. The longer you wear it though, I find it settles into the skin well and the shimmer becomes more of a glow. The lasting power is great for a blush, it lasts pretty much the whole day with some fading.

Out of the shades available, some are definitely more like highlighters, while others are more blush-y. Watermelon/Moonstone is the latter as it comes across as a golden, reddish pinky-coral. The red tones actually make this quite a unique colour in my collection! It's much like what my skin looks like when it's naturally flushed so there's that degree of "natural-ness". BUT! I have to be careful not to over apply (especially on a sweaty day!) since that can read as hot and bothered lel. 

TL;DR - I'm just slightly disappointed with this. I think the concept is great, but I just wish it was more sheeny as opposed to visibly shimmery! It still provides a lovely, glowy effect to the skin and the formula is nice and long lasting. It's definitely a great product for quick days when I want a two-in-one, highlighter/blush product, but there are probably better ones out there!

Have you tried the Beach Tint Shimmer Soufflés?

S H O P  T H E  P O S T  >>